Monday, May 10, 2010

Recipe Box: Scrolled Tuiles

Friday, May 7th was a momentous day for my little family. Matt graduate from Dixie State College with his Bachelor's degree!! It was a wonderful day full of sunshine, family, hamburgers, confetti, and brownie sundaes. I don't think we could have asked for more. And the fact remains, I am so proud of Matt that it is spilling right of me! He is actually considering more school... brave and motivated man.

In light of such an important event, I knew the food had to perfect. What better way to show your pride than to prepare a fantastic BBQ that includes hand rolled tuiles that look like little scrolls (hahaha)? Here it is folks. My recipe. So many have asked for it, that I thought the best place to post it was here. ENJOY!

 (They aren't perfect, but they were YUMMY!)

Scrolled Tuiles
by Amy Dotson (and Martha Stewart)

4 large egg whites, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
5 Tbs butter, melted
3 Tbs heavy cream
3/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
sour candy belts, string licorice, etc (for diploma tie)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put egg whites and sugar into a bowl (you could use your electric mixer here); mix on medium speed until combined (I used a hand mixer). Mix in flour and salt. Add butter, cream, and vanilla; mix until just combined.

2. Spoon 4 teaspoons (I used about 1/2 that) batter onto a baking sheet lined with a nonstick baking mat. Thinly spread into a rectangle (whatever size you want). Repeat. Bake until pale golden around edges, about 6 minutes (I had to do about 9 minutes).

3. Transfer sheet to a wire rack. Immediately loosen cookies with a spatula; flip (unnecessary). Starting at 1 short side, quickly roll cookie to the halfway point using the handle of a small wooden spoon (by the end of my batch, I mostly rolled with my fingers. Yes it was hot). Repeat on opposite side. Repeat with remaining batter. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.

4. Cut candy. Wrap one candy strip around each scroll, and knot.

Variation: Pour batter in a piping bag and make "fingers" on your baking mat. After baked and cooled, dip half of the cookie in melted chocolate. Perfect for parties or showers.

TA-DA!!! You can now make Tuiles!!

Earn Money With Your Blog