Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Recipe Box: Tahini and Hummus


I LOVE hummus. It's a weakness of mine. AND, when I discovered how easy it was to make on my own, I was hooked. The best part was when I then discovered I could make my own tahini. Seriously. That was a great day. So, without further adieu, Tahini and Hummus.

Homemade Tahini
by Amy Dotson

2 cups sesame seeds
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt

Toast sesame seeds over a medium-high heat, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool completely.

1. Put toasted sesame seeds in a food processor and drizzle in olive oil.

2. Pulse for 3-5 minutes, till it's fairly smooth. Add a little more olive oil if necessary.

3. Remove from food processor and store in the refrigerator.


Homemade Hummus
by Amy Dotson

2 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
14 oz. canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup tahini (see above recipe)
1 tsp. salt

Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix until smooth, scraping sides occasionally.

Variations: drizzle with parsley oil (1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup parsley) and sprinkle with pine nuts.
*Delicious served on pita chips, tortilla chips, veggie sticks, falafels, and crackers.

Earn Money With Your Blog