Monday, June 14, 2010

Just Keep Walking

Not long ago, my daughter and I went on a little road trip.

She had gone to bed pretty late the night before, so she was asleep about 15 minutes into the drive. I was jamming to Africa by Toto and really enjoying myself. By the way, the song Africa reminds of one of my dear friends, Sarah. I can't hear it without remembering her singing it out at the top of her lungs as we drove down the highway to Palm Springs, California. A great memory.

Back to my road trip.

At some point we came to a rest stop/gas station/Subway and decided we needed a potty break, a treat and fresh drinks. I unbuckled her from her car seat (note: I only undo the bottom buckle because SHE can undo the top buckle), grabbed my stuff and we headed across the busy parking lot. Because my hands were full, I made Mattie hang on to the pocket of my pants. Half-way across the parking lot, the poor thing tripped on her flip flops and down she went. So did my pants. Clear to my knees. That's right folks. My pants were all the way to my knees as I stood in the middle of oncoming, parking lot traffic.

It was awesome.

What could i do?

I did the only I could do. I just kept walking. Then, gracefully, I dropped everything in my hands on the curb and reached down to pull my pants up.

Did I mention how awesome this was?!

I was laughing so hard that I had tears streaming down my cheeks. Mattie didn't know whether to laugh or hide for fear of my wrath. Even a 3 year old knows that pulling your pants down in the middle of a busy parking lot isn't good.

We proceeded into the rest stop/gas station/Subway and got our refreshments and had our potty break. On our way back to the car, I held Mattie's hand. I couldn't chance another pants-ing.

As we drove off in the car, I let Africa blare while I sang at the top of my lungs, wishing I could share this story with my friend Sarah (I love and miss you where ever you are).

I love a good memory!




Earn Money With Your Blog